Update 12/05/2021

Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Update 12/05/2021

Update 12/05/2021

The game now finally has a name! Take a look at Occult:Rewrite's all new splashart!



Whenever I'm working on a project, be it a story, short novel or whatever, the harderst part isn't coming up with the setting, characters or even the ending... but the names. The names for the characters, the chapter titles and most importantly: The name for said work. So far I've been calling it "project Bruma" because "Bruma" will be an important word in the game's lore, but I couldn't keep calling it that way forever, so I brainstormed a few other titles.

When workshopping possible titles I knew from the beggining that I wanted it to have 3 main things going for it: 

1) Something that would allude to the "loop" mechanic tied to the story, which is something you'll only get a glimpse of on the definitive demo that'll be coming out in about 30-40 days.

2) It had to reference the supernatural, mysterious atmosphere of the game. 

3) It needed to have something "special" about it. A special character, or a specific way of writing it.

 

Now, for the first point, I tried a lot of "re" words, such as "repeat", "retry" and "Rewind". I liked rewind a lot, but when I was designing the logo, I went with "Rewrite" on a whim, and it ended up working out better in my opinion.

For the second one, I went with "occult", which is something a lot of the characters reference ingame, and it's the second key aspect to the story. 

For the third one, I though about many games that used special characters in the title, like the "Steins;Gate" and it's other series, or ".Hack". I took care not to end up straight copying another title's gimmick, which also keeping in mind "searchability". If the title ended up being too generic, it wouldn't be rememberer, or show up easily on google, and if the character was too complext, people would have trouble remembering it just the same, as well as it might trip some search engines.

Hence "Occult:Rewrite". A name that encompasses all three points.

No comments:

Post a Comment